Monday, March 2, 2015

Cotton Mill Archives

The New South Archives: Cotton Mills


APUSH Project: Amber Datta, Tanisha Ghosh, Will Herndon, and Hinal Patel.

Henry Grady had a mission to rebuild the South to wealth and prosperity. The South developed a strong core comprised of economic diversity,healthy growth over time, and an economy centered around the growing of crops. It also wanted to follow the North’s example and become more industrialized. These new forms of thought brought on many social changes as well. Economic development, working conditions, mobility, inequality, and race relations were also issues that marked the period from 1877 to the 1900’s and these problems became evident in the lives of many people.

For this project, our group has decided to use the articles and writings we found in the archives of the Macon Telegraph and create our own cotton mill archives referencing specific events, time, or people from the Telegraph itself. Our archives consists of letters, diary entries and pictures. These stories and letters are all fictional but they are our outlooks on what different people of this era would say about events related to cotton mill factories in the South.

21 January 1901
To Whom It May Concern,
I have been asked many times over the past few months one persisting question ‘will the decreased prices of cotton affect the prosperity in the South?’ I have always replied to this question with the same answer ‘no.’ I can actually see that the prosperity of the South is growing as now the farmers are being forced to diversify their crops as a result of the low prices of cotton. Also, now it is easier for cotton to be created as most of the products entering cotton production have decreased in price and the amount of cotton being produced has almost doubled from just a few years ago. The low prices of cotton do, however, affect the farmers because nowadays one can not simply make a living off of ‘5 – cent cotton’ unless they are extremely cautious with their money. As the president of a major corporate business in Atlanta, I must help protect these farmers and make sure they are able to sustain a healthy living. I feel that the decreased prices of cotton are actually helping them because that way the farmers are able to diversify more with their crops, not be in major debt, and still have cotton as a surplus. These changes within the South are increasing its economic development, and I hope that you are able to find rationality and logic in my response as to why the decreased cotton prices are actually helping the South’s prosperity.

Sincerely,
Frank Hawkins
Atlanta Clearing House Association President

Payne City Cotton Mill prior to it being closed down in 1989

17 October 1899
Dear mother,
Many of us are trying to find jobs at the cotton mills but are having difficulty doing so. I know you always wanted me, as your son, to have a successful job and have a steady income and healthy life. Unfortunately, this type of life is very unlikely for me as well as for many others. The cotton mill owners do not want Negros because they say that we are not as skilled as the white men. They complain that the white men are more devoted workers than us and are more committed towards their jobs. Although there are enough white men in the factories to meet all the demands for the mills, I still feel that we would be an asset to the factories. I do not understand why the cotton mill owners are rejecting us especially since we require lower wages. Also, we are still heavily watched to make sure we efficiently complete our jobs. Mother, I know that times are changing but the inequality between the white men and Negroes is still strong, and I feel that it is something that will forever remain unchanged. I realize you have always hoped for a successful life for me, but I am afraid that is not possible due to the stagnant discrimination. One of the greatest cotton mill owners in the South, W. J. Kincaid, owns the Kincaid mills. He is thoroughly opposed to the idea of Negro labor in cotton mills because he thinks that we are not competent for the job and are troublesome. He and many other cotton mill owners have similar thoughts and ideas towards Negro labor and these are one of the many reasons why it is unlikely for me to find a job at the cotton mills. Mother, I hope to find a sufficient job soon so I can support and take care of my family.
Love,
Your son,
Henry O’Neil

Atlantic Compress Co. vs. Young
April 1, 1903
Dear Diary,
The trial is in 2 days and I don’t know what the court is going to rule. I still don’t know why I have to give over all this money to my boss at the Atlantic Compress Company. To be honest, I wouldn’t have gone to court its just that I’m tired of all this. Just because its hard to for us to provide for our families, get higher paying jobs, and be of a higher social status than some other wealthy working men doesn't mean they can treat me or anyone else like this. In all justification, the Atlantic Compress Co. had shut down and I only went to Payne City to load cotton on trucks for a couple of weeks. The mill payed me and I took it. I had to provide for my family somehow. How else would I get food for my kids and wife? Its hard to provide with a job and let alone without one? Well the law is that I, under hours of employment, have no right to take up other duties without the consent of my employer at Atlantic. I am said to have used the time of my employer and should not have taken the job at Payne City because it of personal benefit. I understand that I must devote all my time and effort to the Atlantic since I am contracted to them, I’m supposed to be committed to them and only them as an employee but I only took up this job because they shut down for a couple of weeks. I could possibly win the case if they find in my contract that I had not really promised all my time to the atlantic. I know I didn’t but they can't find any such evidence in the contract (or thats what they are saying at least). I’m just sick and tired of this inequality. Just because they are wealthy business owners doesn't mean they can take advantage of poor workers like me and many other. The rich seem to be getting richer and the middle and lower class are just supposed to sit and watch as we can’t even get higher paying jobs and can barely provide for our families. I can’t and won’t put up with this level of equality   between social classes and for that reason I’m going to do everything I can to win this case and show them that they can’t take advantage of me and others like me.

W.K Young







President Allays Fears Over The Temporary Shutdown of Bibb Manufacturing Company.
To The Macon Chamber of Commerce
3 February 1881

Dear Sirs,
The recent temporary shutdown of the local cotton mill owned by the Bibb Manufacturing Company has raised a great deal of concern in and around Macon with respect to loss of jobs and incomes. Citizens fear that the economy of the region will be destroyed by unemployment after the shutdown. It is my job as the president of my company to address these legitimate concerns and explain to all parties concerned the real reason behind the shutdown and our future plans. Firstly, I would like to clarify that the mill has stopped production only for the next few months and for a positive reason. Secondly, I am very happy to tell the city that we are moving on to bigger and better times. In the context of the economic growth of this region based on the cotton industry, there has been outstanding success in yarn and cloth production in the most recent years, not only in Georgia, but also in other southern states such as Louisiana. since demand for cotton cloth has been expanding rapidly, our current factory production capacity is inadequate in terms of machinery and equipment. Therefore, we have had to halt current production in the short-term to build new, expanded capacity in our mill in the long-run. We are bringing in highly experienced technicians from New England to set up modern machinery here in Macon. Once this process is complete, more looms and driving engines will give us increased mechanization, and more new jobs will be created as we train our workers to handle this new equipment. Higher wages and buying power will give a big push to other industries in the area and the local economy at large. By following our example elsewhere, “the empire state of the South” will be able to mimic the great industrial North. I hope our efforts will succeed in bringing great prosperity to all the people of this area.    

photo.JPG

Hugh Moss Comer
President, Bibb Manufacturing Company
The National Department of Agriculture Advises Cotton Planters to Restrict Supplies and  Stabilize Prices  

To The Secretary of the Interior
5 February 1895

Dear Sir,

We are on the edge of a new era in the South’s economic resurgence. The southern cotton harvest in recent months has been unprecedented. The cotton crop produced in the current year is around 9 million bales. This is the largest production so far, and has given rise to an enormous amount of market speculation. We would like to issue warning to cotton producers that this positive factor can also hurt us, however. Excessive production and glut flooding the market is likely to drive down the price of cotton. We would strongly recommend to the cotton producers to band together and mutually agree to hold back supplies to stabilize cotton prices, and prevent them from dropping further. There is also a great need to not depend solely on this one crop, given the volatile nature of domestic and world markets. The South must diversify into other industries just as the North has done, to build a stronger future economic base for itself.  The South’s cotton industry is growing by leaps and bounds. During the decade of 1880-1890 farm assets rose by 37% and revenues by 16%. The South has exported cotton to England, resulting in several cotton mills in Georgia and other southern states to tap this growing demand. This is a good time for the South to hold on to the dollar value of cotton and manufacture its own cotton, to establish monopoly in the world market. Then, revenues will still expand from a bigger market, in spite of lower cotton prices. This change will definitely give us a broader edge in our economic prosperity.  
IMG_4055.jpeg
Chairman, The National Department of Agriculture


18 September 1895
To whom it may concern,
With the end of the confederacy bringing a new way of life for the South it is important that we, the South, evolve. The South can’t let the North run us over economically. The North is far ahead of us but here in the South  things are changing as we are starting to supply more and more industry. The cotton mills are booming with economic growth and are offering jobs to hard working employees. My plan for the industrialization of the new South  is a vital step to aide it in becoming more prosperous. The South is growing in cotton mill production along with marble cutting establishments, iron mills, and several other cutting edge industries. As long as we stay on track with my plan for a new South, our industries will be on track to rivaling with the North. As the spokesman of the new South, I will push my work as a writer and give speeches to persuade investors that our markets in the South are not only strong but are growing substantially each and every day.     
Sincerely,
Henry Grady       




























Works Cited

“A Good Opportunity.” Macon Telegraph [Macon] 18 September. 1895: 4. Georgia Historic
Newspapers. Web. 13 Feb 2015. < http://telegraph.galileo.usg.edu/telegraph /view?docId=news/mdt1895/mdt1895-2199.xml&query=a>.
“Compress Claimed W. K. Young’s Extra Pay .” Macon Telegraph [Macon] 24 Apr. 1903: 5.          Georgia Historic Newspapers. Web . 14 Feb. 2015.
“Cotton in the South.” Macon Telegraph [Macon] 17 Oct. 1898: 3. Georgia Historic Newspapers.     Web.13Feb.2015. <http://telegraph.galileo.usg.edu/telegraph/view?docId=news/mdt1898/mdt
1898-2615.xml&query=cotton%20in%20south&brand=telegraph-brand>.
“Current Opinion.” Georgia Weekly Telegraph and Georgia Journal and Messenger                         [Macon] 4 March 1881: 4. Georgia Historic Newspapers. Web. 10 Feb. 2015.
<http://telegraph.galileo.usg.edu/telegraph/view?docId=news/mwt1881/mwt1881-0068.xml&query=Georgia Cotton mills&brand=telegraph-brand>.
“Negroes in Cotton Mills.” Macon Telegraph [Macon] 9 Jul. 1897: 3. Georgia Historic
   Newspapers. Web. 13 Feb 2015.
“The Cotton Crop.” Georgia Weekly Telegraph and Georgia Journal and Messenger [Macon]
14 Feb. 1895: 4. Georgia Historic Newspapers. Web. 14 Feb. 2015.
<http://telegraph.galileo.usg.edu/telegraph/view?docId=news/mdt1895/mdt1895-0364.xml&query=Georgia Cotton mills&brand=telegraph-brand>.
Williams, Arden. “Bibb Manufacturing Company.” History and Archaeology. Late Nineteenth               Century (1877-1900). Georgia Humanities Council. 13 Oct. 2006. Last ed. by NGE Staff              5 June 2014. Web. 20 Feb. 2015.








No comments:

Post a Comment